Want some extra cash? We show you the side hustles you can start right now based on your assets, skills and time. Check out these side hustle ideas to find one that works for your lifestyle to help you reach your financial goals.
Side hustles are a great way to earn extra cash. While it’s great to have a steady pay cheque from your day job, a side hustle means extra income to put towards your goals.
- Do you want to save for a house deposit?
- Are you looking to build an emergency fund? Here’s how to do it
- Do you want to get started with investing?
Your motivation to take charge of your future and get there with a side hustle is admirable. What makes the biggest difference in whether you’ll take action is whether your side hustle works with your current situation.
A side hustle is literally that – you do it on the side as well as your day job.
If you put in the work to do a side hustle you love fulltime, you’ve hit the big time. But before you get there, you need to set yourself up for a side hustle that uses your current assets that you already own, your existing skills and the amount of time that you currently have available to dedicate to your side hustle. This is important so that your side hustle doesn’t end up costing you more than it benefits you. If you already have everything you need to start a side hustle, it also provides a low barrier to entry so that you can start your side hustle right away.
Here are 15 side hustle ideas you can start right now:
Become a virtual assistant, which means you work remotely on tasks like answering emails or customer service support. You can find these roles on gig work websites like Upwork and can take on multiple clients if you have the time.
Tutor students in core school topics like English and Maths or in specialist subjects if you have a strong academic background in a specific area of study.
- Consider pet sitting, which means looking after someone’s much loved dog or cat while they’re on holiday and you can pet sit either at your home or the home of the pet owner, using online platforms like Mad Paws
Got language skills?
Teach someone how to speak, read or write in a specific language, including English.
- Translate documents or digital files from one language to another.
Transcribe video and audio files so that these have accurate subtitles.
Got a home?
Consider letting out your spare room, including to international students who might need a place to stay on a budget for a specific time period.
- Advertise either your spare room or the whole property on platforms like Airbnb when you’re not using the space.
Rent out your driveway or car space on a platform like Spacer, including during the day if you’re travelling to a workplace but have office space near your home and their employees will need somewhere to park.
Got a house full of staff?
- Go through your wardrobe and sell what you don’t need on websites like eBay. If you want a step by step guide on how to make money by selling your clothes online, we’ve got you covered.
Rent out your expensive clothing items that you likely don’t actually wear a lot on websites like Rent My Wardrobe.
- Declutter your house and sell items like furniture that you no longer use on location-based marketplace platforms like Gumtree.
Got a car?
- Become a driver on ride share platforms like Uber or Ola. This can work well as someone you do before or after work to earn extra cash and the rating system means you have a better idea of who you’re letting into your car, based on their past behaviour.
Take on food delivery duties for platforms like Deliveroo, which is a similar role to being a driver on ride share platforms, except you’re delivering food rather than people.
- Rent out your car when you’re not using it via websites like Car Next Door. If you’ve already invested in your car as an asset, you may as well make money when you’re not using it.
A side hustle can be a great way to earn extra income.
The best way to succeed in a side hustle is to ensure it’s something you can keep up with over time. A sustainable side hustle will align with your assets, skills and time. That’s the assets you already own, your existing skills and the amount of time you have available for a side hustle. Select a side hustle that works for you and your lifestyle to reap the benefits of extra cash from a side hustle that helps you meet your financial goals.
Read more: 5 ways to make some extra spending money